Notes - Candidate Filing Dates
SECTION 3: CANDIDATE FILING INFORMATION
- For additional detailed information relating to California reporting requirements of the Political Reform Act of 1974, as amended, see Government Code §§81000 through 91015 or contact the Fair Political Practices Commission at (916) 322-5660.
- Due to the requirements of the Federal Election Campaign Act (as amended), candidates for federal office should contact the Federal Election Commission at 999 E Street, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20463, or call the toll-free number (800) 424-9530 for a copy of the Act, related regulations, and instruction manuals giving filing requirements for reporting campaign contributions and the forms on which to file.
- In this calendar, any reference to "County Elections Official" or "Clerk" means "Registrar of Voters" or "County Clerk" when the County Clerk is the ex officio Registrar of Voters.
- Elections Code §16 requires that the county elections official provide a copy of Government Code §84305 to each candidate or his or her agent at the time of filing the Declaration of Candidacy. Government Code §84305 is reproduced here for your information:
"(a) Except as provided in subdivision (b), no candidate or committee shall send a mass mailing unless the name, street address, and city of the candidate or committee are shown on the outside of each piece of mail in the mass mailing and on at least one of the inserts included within each piece of mail of the mailing in no less than 6-point type which shall be in a color or print which contrasts with the background so as to be easily legible. A post office box may be stated in lieu of a street address if the organization's address is a matter of public record with the Secretary of State.
"(b) If the sender of the mass mailing is a single candidate or committee, the name, street address, and city of the candidate or committee need only be shown on the outside of each piece of mail.
"(c) If the sender of a mass mailing is a controlled committee, the name of the person controlling the committee shall be included in addition to the information required by subdivision (a)."
- Unless another time is specified in this calendar, 5 o'clock p.m. is the last hour for a candidate to complete an action on behalf of his or her candidacy.
Secretary of State Home
Last Revised: October 21, 1999