Insurance Claims Practices. Civil Remedies.
Full Text of
A "Yes" vote approves, a "No" vote rejects legislation that:
- restores right to sue another person's insurer for insurer's unfair claims settlement practices;
- allows such lawsuits only if insurer rejects a settlement demand and injured party obtains a larger judgment or award against insured party;
- bars such lawsuits against public entities; workers' compensation insurers; and professional liability insurers under certain circumstances; or if convicted of driving under the influence;
- authorizes requests for consensual binding arbitration of claims under $50,001 against parties covered by insurance. Insurers agreeing to arbitration cannot be sued for unfair practices.
Summary of Legislative Analyst's
Estimate of Net State and Local Government Fiscal Impact:
- Increase in state insurance gross premiums tax revenue, potentially several millions of dollars each year.
- Unknown net impact on state court costs.
Argument in Favor of Proposition 30
Rebuttal to Argument in Favor of Proposition 30
Argument Against Proposition 30
Rebuttal to Argument Against Proposition 30
Full Text of Proposition 30